DS 2019 COST
The following fees apply only for self-arranged internships and trainings!
Find all costs to get the DS-2019 form and the J-1 visa.
We offer a very affordable DS 2019 cost structure.
Downloading the DS-2019 information: free of charge!
Eligibility check and assignment of a suitable US legal sponsor: free of charge!
Issuing the DS-2019 form, including the SEVIS fee + insurance:
For citizen of Germany:
(*Citizen of France, Canada and Mexico: + 100 US$)
(*Citizen of all other countries: + 200 US$)
- US$ 895 for internships/trainings 1 month of duration
- US$ 970 for internships/trainings 2 months of duration
- US$ 1.045 for internships/trainings 3 months of duration
- US$ 1.150 for internships/trainings 4 months of duration
- US$ 1.235 for internships/trainings 5 months of duration
- US$ 1.350 for internships/trainings 6 months of duration
- US$ 1.450 for internships/trainings 7 months of duration
- US$ 1.525 for internships/trainings 8 months of duration
- US$ 1.625 for internships/trainings 9 months of duration
- US$ 1.725 for internships/trainings 10 months of duration
- US$ 1.825 for internships/trainings 11 months of duration
- US$ 1.925 for internships/trainings 12 months of duration
- US$ 1.975 for trainings 13 months of duration
- US$ 2.025 for trainings 14 months of duration
- US$ 2.075 for trainings 15 months of duration
- US$ 2.125 for trainings 16 months of duration
- US$ 2.175 for trainings 17 months of duration
- US$ 2.225 for trainings 18 months of duration
Note: These are only the costs to issue the DS-2019 form which is absolutely required for the J-1 visa application. Later on the applicant has to pay the J-1 visa fee (approx. another US$ 160) to the US consulate.
Please do not confuse the issue of the DS-2019 form with granting the J-1 visa! These are two different procedures of different authorities.
Overview of the total costs to obtain the J-1 visa
Issuing the DS-2019 form: US$ 895 – US$ 2.425 to the visa sponsor in the USA, depending on the duration of internship/training and your home country. In this fee the SEVIS-fee of US$ 220 to the Department of State is already included.
J-1 visa fee: approx. US$ 160 to the US consulate in your home country.
Visa appointment with the US consulate in your home country mainly by call centers liable to pay costs.
Travel expenses for the personal visa appointment at the US consulate in your home country or jurisdiction.
Total costs/sum: approx. US$ 1.055 – 2.585
Do I have a chance to avoid these expensive visa costs?
Hardly if you really need to attend an internship/training in the US.
But the advantage of the J-1 visa is that also PAID internships/training are allowed. It depends on your negotiation skills if your US host company will not cover some of the DS-2019 form costs or maybe will pay you some remuneration. Also, don´t forget that maybe most of the visa costs could be set off against tax liability.
If you are not able to get a paid internship in the US, why do not use our full-placement service? We will organize for you a paid internship! The payment will cover at least some costs.
Could I save all the visa hassle and enter the US with a tourist visa?
No! This is not allowed and totally illegal. To attend an internship or training in the USA -paid or unpaid does not matter- is only allowed with a corresponding valid J-1 visa.