Health Insurance for your Internship or Training in the US

J1 Visa Health Insurance

You will need a medical insurance – but not anyone!


All interns / trainees and their dependents on the J Visa must be covered by a J1 visa health insurance plan that satisfies the insurance requirements of the U.S. Department of State for the entire duration of the training program. Before sponsorship can be approved, you and your dependents must show evidence of such coverage or purchase insurance through Interswop´s or Interswop´s partner´s health insurance provider.

To satisfy the requirements of the Department of State, your and your dependents’ insurance coverage must:

    • Provide, at a minimum, up to 10,000 U.S. dollars in case of medical evacuation.
    • Provide, at a minimum, up to 7,500 U.S. dollars in case of repatriation of remains.
    • Provide, at a minimum,

EITHER: up to 50,000 U.S. dollars of regular and customary medical expenses per accident or sickness.
OR: 75% of regular and customary medical expenses per accident or sickness.

    • Have a deductible that does not exceed 500 U.S. dollars per accident or sickness.
    • EITHER: Be underwritten by an insurance corporation with one of the following ratings:

a. an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above
b. an Insurance Solvency International Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above
c. a Standard & Poor´s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A-” or above
d. a Weiss Research Inc. rating of “B+” or above
e. a corresponding rating from the United States Information Agency


Be backed by the full faith and credit of the government of your home country.

Be offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP), as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.


A health insurance (accident + sickness) is included in the DS-2019 fees

The US legal sponsor assigned who will issue the DS-2019 form includes an insurance (accident + sickness) for the duration of the internship/training in the US plus the 30-days grace period.


I want another medical insurance. What do you recommend?

The easiest way and often the cheapest way are to conclude the J1 visa health insurance package offered through Interswop´s insurance partner.
This insurance package can be concluded by persons with residency in any country.

For your intership in the US, your training or all other exchange programs, stays or  travel tours.

The medical insurance part of this package fulfills all requirements of the Department of State.
You will receive an insurance policy with the insurance coverage and rating.
For more information on the insurance package or to conclude the insurance online please simply click on the link below.

Get Protrip World now!

Purchase now the insurance package and get US$ 10 cashback!
Simply email us a copy of your insurance policy to